The purpose and need for the project is to complete a missing link in the statewide Coast to Coast Trail, and is based on the following criteria:
- System Linkage – to complete a missing link in the statewide Coast to Coast Trail
- Modal interrelationships – to provide safe, non-vehicular transportation and recreation to residents and visitors traveling within and beyond the study area.
- Potential Benefits – Increased business activity, tourism, improved quality of life, improved public health and increased property values.
The proposed trail is consistent with the following plans:
- Office of Florida Greenways & Trails – Coast to Coast Connector Trail Plan
- TBARTA 2040 and Longer Range Regional Trails – 2015 Master Plan Update
- Hernando Citrus MPO 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan
- City of Brooksville Vision 2050 Plan
- SUN Trail Adopted Work Program (FY 2019 thru FY 2023)
In addition, the proposed trail is consistent with the goals of the following plans:
- Brooksville Comprehensive Plan (2007)
- Brooksville Community Redevelopment Plan (2013)
- South Brooksville Reuse Planning – South Brooksville Conceptual Project Plan (2015)
- Hernando Comprehensive Plan, Future Land Use Element (2018)